10/24/12

Apple pie recipe (not diet friendly)...

Apple pie... is something that everyone loves (if you don't, your not american ;)).  This pie is a classic.  I think the hard sugary crust and the sweet flavorful apple slices is what makes it so tasty!  Just look at it. *drooling*  I think I'm going to have to make this again soon, very soon...  I must admit though, I did made a mistake while making this pie, I forgot to add the flour.  My mom asked me and I was like, "uh, well,... I don't think I did"...  So, in trying to save it, I nervously cut a circle in the top crust, sprinkled some flour and mixed it all together, then tried to seal it all back together...  You can't tell, can you?

Apple pie recipe:              adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook

6 to 8 tart apples, pared, cored, and thinly sliced (6 cups)
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
dash ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pic (preferably THIS dough)
2 tablespoons butter
milk

If you are using THIS dough, divide the glob in half and roll each half out large enough to fit a pie pan.  Mix the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon and orange zest until it is combines.  Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry.  The dough should hang over a bit on the sides.  If it hangs over more than an inch, then cut a little off,.. the dough tastes pretty good. ;) Fill with apple mixture; dot butter overtop.  Spread, with your hand, a little milk on the crust, so when you put the other layer on top, they will stick together.  Adjust top crust.  Roll the crust under and pinch for a design. Cut slits for escape of steam.  Spread some milk (for a pretty crust) and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes.  Serve warm.



Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this looks soo good! :9 I'll have to give this a try sometime, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha so funny I JUST made this last night!!! Almost the same recipe (Different crust) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that looks amazing! If I attempted that, it would look so ugly.
    I've had fun taking a peek around your blog!
    You did a wonderful job on your sister's senior pictures :)

    -Arielle
    www.humblepievintage.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a little note! I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. :)